Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

Eco-PAID reducing the carbon imprint on Entertainment venues

Eco-PAID
Entertainers collaborating on Performing Audience initiated Displays
Here is the idea. If an audience member of a particular talent genre such as Storytelling wants to help the environment and reduce their entertainment carbon imprint Eco-Paid would be the answer.

A volunteer host would arrange to have 10-40 guests visit their home to be entertained by a performer that visits from a distance. If only 10 friends visit Portland from rural Maine lets say from 20 miles or more (not uncommon) the carbon impact of fuel is that of one person going 400 miles however if the friends are close to the hosts home than the tellers 20 miles saves on emissions caused by the group and saves the groups wear and tare on vehicle use.

Yes I am aware folks host home concerts but not on the level that I would like to promote. If we could brainstorm how to promote this idea across the nation we could make a difference. If story lovers are encouraged on a local level to produce a show that is initiated by the hosts by visiting a web site and logging on for participating Eco Tellers it could be a positive impact on our environment and on our industry.

Any one who has any comments, suggestions, and experiences on how to start a new trend or how we think about entertainment venues?

Thanks for your time and suggestions
Vernon

Tags: Earth, Entertainment, Enviournment, Gas, Storytelling, cost, entertainment, friendly, on, reductions

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some more thoughts:
How can we market an idea that would motivate the listener to promote the show they wish to see instead of the presenters and performer?
Eco-PAID could work with established venues as well as home concerts.

If a venue from a local area was contacted by a website because its members which total 2/3 or more of that venue's capcity or more would like to see a on XYorZ and the best dates for that show would be XY or Z don't you think the venue would produce that show?

Dianne has created a great website for all of us Proffessional Storytellers to network.
Matchbook.org has done the same for Artists and presenters.
What if we created a website with Ning for the audience to connect and network with the performers they could see in a low impact cost effective way?

Enough of my rambling any other ideas out there?
Vernon--
there is a website out there, The Point, that allows people to pledge in advance for specific happenings. So far, it's mostly used as an organizing and fundraising tool.

I learned about it from Andrew Taylor's always insightful blog about the intersection of arts and business, The Artful Manager.

Back in April of this year, he noted, following up on an NPR broadcast about The Point, that "The Point seeks to solve a vexing challenge for group action: confirming the critical mass to do something or buy something before you do it or buy it." His insight was to see the application for producers:
Consider this: What if you wanted to bring a professional performing artist to town for a show? A year ago, you'd need a performing arts presenter to find them, contract them, commit to paying them, and then drum up the ticket sales and contributions to make it viable. If the presenter falls short, they eat the difference, and hope that another show earns above its budget. Now consider the entirely different organizing model for touring professional performances offered by The Point. An individual or informal group could propose bringing Ani DiFranco, or Royal Shakespeare Company, or Hubbard Street Dance to town on a certain day in a certain venue, and post the idea as a campaign on-line. Those who would buy a ticket or contribute to the performance could enter their credit card on-line. If enough people signed on with enough money, the contract would close and their cards would be charged. If not, the show wouldn't come.

Poking around on The Point's site, I don't see any producers trying this model yet... but I think the small tipping point required for storytelling house concerts would be an ideal test case!
This is a case where there is an established solution existing to your stated need. All that has to happen is for someone to do it!
Just back from the Point.
Tim I think that site is worth looking into as a vehicle for what we are talking about. It could be used for this project along with fund raising and community action which are also of interest to the storytelling community.
Problem is there are so many things to join and promote our art that it spreads us all thin.
Thanks to Dianne we have a way to discuss first, learn and then act. I will defiantly put the Point on my to do list as this project goes further if nothing better as a website host for our project comes up.
(No since in reinventing the wheel when so much out there is spinning)
Tim this is great info and the Point appears to be useful if we have the time to for a home concert I think it would be a start.
Also I have sent some of this conversation over to LANES so our members can take part, may I post your comments there?

Thanks
Learnin' Vernon
Sure, feel free to quote me (just spell my name correctly is all I ask ;-) ).

I think this is a very interesting listener-centered model of producing. I don't quite understand how it would reduce the carbon footprint of events producing, but I do like the model.
Where I live Tim it is very rural and folks may travel 20 to 50 miles to see a show. If there are others in their community doing the same then it becomes a much larger carbon imprint Event than if a performer traveled to their home, Grange hall, Church or Firestation to do a performance.
Gas guzzleing aside this model will also reduce on paper resources, plublicty trips with posters and tickets because the audience would drive the Event by reqeusting it!
Lots of times we spend great time and energy efforts to fill a venue. Wolud'nt it be great if they contacted us?
The Point may be a start for this.

Thanks Tim for taking part and supporting this discussion
Learnin' Vernon
Tim I just joined the Point and started a campain called Mental Vacations an Eco-PAID Production!
https://www.thepoint.com/campaigns/mental-vacations-an-eco-paid-pro...

This is an experiment for Eco friendly adudience building form our discussion here at Eco-PAID

Let me know what you think
Vernon - A fascinating idea - keep me in the loop as you work on this.
You are one amazing dude with a very creative mind. I am overwhelmed with work and family matters at the mo' but please, keep me in the loop as you work on this.
N
Vernon, can you clarify?
Are you suggesting that a house concert in Portland only invite folks within a 20 mile radius? And let the rural folks farther afield stay home... or figure out a way to invite the performer to the rural area?
Tim I like your suggestion of the Point. It is close to what I have in mind.
I used the 20 miles and Portland as an example. I think the focus could be on Audience interest for a show first and foremost. Then match a performer who would travel to a home or venue to meet the expectations of the audience.

This model could be set up to have data entered by artists willing to travel to a cluster concert.
Audience members could input data of their location willingness to travel, host at home and their preferences on entertainment types.

Venues and presenters could input their willingness to have performers of the audience choosing open dates at their venue for shows that would be determined by audience feed back.

I am going to visit the Point and check it out thanks Tim
Vernon
This is a very important discussion - would you be cool if we moved parts of it to LANES?
They should hear this...
I think oh Mentor to the digital masses that would be a great idea!
I talked to Laura Packer last night along with Debb Freedman and Katy Rydell. They had some great suggestions.
Why not suggest those who are interested to mosey on over here or give us permission to copy it here so there is a central place for the dialogue?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service