Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

Technology...How does it blend with storytelling?

How do you use technology in your storytelling business? The face of storytelling is changing and as we try to make storytelling more well known I believe technology will be part of that change. Aside from creating CDs of your stories. What other forms of technology do you use like YouTube, podcasts, digital storytelling, iTunes, online workshops...? I've been asked to be guest editor of StoryTimes Journal for the summer edition and our focus is where will technology take storytelling. I want to know what works for you, what new types of technology you are interested in trying to promote your business and does technology frighten you.

Always a tale to tell ... MyLinda

Tags: CDs, YouTube, podcasts, storytelling, technology

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am totally interested in learning more and would love some suggestions on how to do this. For instance, today I presented a workshop that used one story in particular I would love to have shared on my website in the form of you tube but have no idea how to do it, how expensive the equipment would be,etc. Also, since my "bread and butter" is my teaching job, my time is limited to learn new things AND to spend on new projects. Ahhh, what blessing it is to have too much to do and too little time!!
Hello StoryMasters;

I have to say that I am using technology more and more, but I am nowhere near an expert. Most of the new technology that I want to use is in the production side of the storytelling. Look at my "Soup" videos, the "set" is mostly a projection and moves from brick walls,to ice dancers, to snowflakes and back again. I also partnered with a really great band... but that is cut out of the YouTube video, the whole evening was about an hour program, with lots of Chirstmas & Holiday music, there is even a ballerina and you can see her in the video I posted on here. I also experimented with lowering the lights... I normally don't like to do that... I want to see my audience... but that night it worked really well.

Keep you eyes and ears open... I am working on a podcast. I have lots to do before I am ready to launch it. But... I am going to have one... that doesn't compete with Eric Wolf. He has done such a great job with his podcast... I listen to that instead of TV.

Buck
This is not quite story-telling, but it IS story-making ...!
I worked with a group of very small children (aged 3 and 4) and used a bunch of silly clip-art pictures to spark their imaginations... They chose the picture they liked best and I asked them to imagine what story the picture was telling. Basically, I asked lots of questions that helped them create and structure a story around their chosen picture: "So what happened next?", "Wow, and THEN what did they do?", "And what happened in the end?" and so on. I 'scribed' their stories onto the nursery computer as they spoke to me and we printed them out immediately, along with their picture as an illustration. The kids were SO proud of their stories! The nursery class also then had a collection of mini-stories to use as a resource ... The children felt very strongly that the stories were 'theirs' and kept going back to the Story Corner to look at them, show them to each other , and ask the grown-ups to read them out.
I forgot to say this - almost my most important point! ...
The technology gave those little kids an immediate record of their stories ... It also 'validated' them (horrible word!), by which I mean they took their own stories more 'seriously' and believed in themselves as story-tellers because they had that record of what they had created. Moreover, the technology meant that adults (teachers and parents) and other children also believed in them as story-tellers. This might sound odd, but a few parents said things like "I'd never have believed s/he could have made up a story like that if I hadn't seen it for myself" ... I'm not sure I entirely like this fact, but the technology create a record of the children's stories which made them much more real for everyone.
Fantastic! Good job... no... Great job!
This is a fascinating thread. My masters thesis in library school was about storytelling and the electronic/internet-based applications that were then available in 2000-2001. (Yes, if you want to read it, it is on the shelf somewhere in the library science library at UNC-CH...) And while in the end I felt I had to make a distinction between storytelling and what I found on the web (because there was no real interaction between the teller and listeners), still the older AND newer online and technological applications are great for storytelling, especially when it comes to marketing, IMHO.
I have and use in my home office:
a printer/photocopier/scanner for brochures, business cards, postcards, etc.
photo editing software for publicity photos (an ancient version of Photoshop Elements) and web pictures...
camcorder and moviemaking software-Pinnacle Studio- for audition DVDs

I use online:
email
my own domain
Facebook
Professional Storyteller
(I am gradually getting bolder about networking, but have not used YouTube, iTunes, digital storytelling, or podcasts yet... I still prefer to have people pay me to storytell, or even if some of these digital options have payment possibilities, to me the face to face contact of storytelling is what makes it worth it to me...)

Though I might have a video on my website or on this site before you know it -- every time I make some sort of online advance, my husband tells me how proud he is of me for learning new things... It's getting kinda addicting. : )

Claire
Stories With Claire
www.storieswithclaire.com
Before you do any technology work, you need to clearly answer "What are the results I want to obtain?" A podcast is good, but what will you accomplish by it?

You can't answer that question until you firmly now what your niche(s) are, what your purpose is and why you are doing storytelling in the way you are doing it. You technology choices then become clearer.

Your "next action" in these projects are based on your answers to internal planning and goal setting.

Sean
Marketing Camp Registration Now Open
I've found my single event bookings have gone up since I had a web site created.

I haven't done any of the other tech things you mentioned. I am using free listing sites for my services and events to up my profile locally.

Lisa Hicks, "The Stellar Storyteller", Bringing Stories to Life!

Take a look at my web site:

http://lisahicksstoryteller.bravehost.com/index.html

"Tell me a fact and I'll learn. Tell me the truth and I'll believe. But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever." - Indian Proverb
How can we get a copy of the summer edition of Story Tines Journal? As you can tell several of us want to know more. I expected my biggest challenge when I switched to full-time storytelling to be marketing. It's a good sized job, but the biggest challenge has been being my own "techie." I no longer have the kids who are ahead of me to ask.

Just today I attended a workshop on Web 2.0. It was very condensed & now I'm wanting to learn more. At the same time I want to know how to find my potential clients' blogs. Finding as many ways as possible to communicate with them w/o spamming is important marketing.

I agree wholeheartedly with Patricia's "my time is limited to learn new things AND to spend on new projects."
StoryTimes Journal is posted on the Florida Storytelling Associations website http;//www.flstory.org. Since I will be at ETSU in july I am trying to get it done and out sometime in June. Funny as it may seem in September I will start advertising again for StoryCamp but in 2009 it will be 25 years of StoryCamp and with the tellers that are coming you're going to want to be there. But I can't tell just yet, I have to keep the secret just a little longer.

So drop me a line and I can send you the PDF of the summer issue.

always a tale to tell,
MyLinda
thanks for this information I have added it to my favorites files.

Buck
Oh what a tough job keeping that secret. At least you know it's supposed to be a secret. As a little girl I used to be told by my parents, "Now don't tell all our secrets!" Since I never knew what was & what wasn't a secret...you guessed it, I told them. Telegraph, telephone & tell a future storyteller, I guess.

Don't know what additional spambots might be reading this -- my spamblocker really gets a workout -- but my email is LoiS-sez (at) LoiS-sez.com. Position the @ in the middle, of course.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service