Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

Technology...How does it blend with storytelling?

How do you use technology in your storytelling business? The face of storytelling is changing and as we try to make storytelling more well known I believe technology will be part of that change. Aside from creating CDs of your stories. What other forms of technology do you use like YouTube, podcasts, digital storytelling, iTunes, online workshops...? I've been asked to be guest editor of StoryTimes Journal for the summer edition and our focus is where will technology take storytelling. I want to know what works for you, what new types of technology you are interested in trying to promote your business and does technology frighten you.

Always a tale to tell ... MyLinda

Tags: CDs, YouTube, podcasts, storytelling, technology

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a good point about whom to please. I want to please both groups. I also want to get another booking.

Where does that booking come from? Does it come from the teachers or the administrators. What criteria do they use? Is it feedback from the students, the teachers or both.

Is this where we "dumb down" or homogenize a program?

Or is there a way to actually please everyone without doing those things?
Good points all. I just got the evals last night (only the teachers). It was a kick in the stomach. So my being up set may be showing through. I want the students to go away and say that was the best ever! Also the teachers. But, you are right about bookings, most of the time I get them from teachers who have hear from other teachers. Once in awhile admin. does the booking.
Now, to the subject, has the projector helped or hurt the experience? Should I change how use it and continue or not use it. My first reaction is to continue to use and make adjustments so everyone is happy. Not all my science based stories need the projector. Some subjects are more involved than others.
I do not want to "dumb down" the material, students are smart and they know when we do that.
Well, this was just the first time I used the projector and I guess I expected a different reaction from the teachers. The students loved seeing the photos of the people I told stories about. So I just did not expect what I got.
Thanks for the comments.
I understand the "kick in the stomach" feeling.

*hug*

Personally, I'd say continue to use it if you feel it helps the program.

Yes, also make some changes to the overall program. You want the teachers are happy as well, particularly if your bookings are affected by what they think.

I hate working for or with people with negative attitudes and small visions. Sometimes, they happen to be our best clients in terms of long term contracts and payment though. I feel for you.

Lisa Hicks
I use a projector sometimes when I go into the libraries. They want you to show pictures of the stories you are doing, so I accomodate. I actually scan the pictures without the words (when possible) and then tell the story using the pictures. The kids can see the pictures and it gives me a little more leeway when telling the story because I don't have to stick with the written word and the librarians are happy because I am using the book.

Teachers I have found like for you to do a little teaching, but don't like it when you outshine their knowledge base. Although we recently at the school where we are the resident storytellers we were asked to tell Holocaust stories and when we started talking to the students as we were preparing to tell the stories we found out that they were actually just starting the unit, which made us the introduction to the unit. That was ackward but the teachers were grateful for the way we handled it.

So what is the happy medium for using this type of technology? I think we are forging new territory and we will all just need to keep each other apprised of the results, then we won't all feel like we just got a good swift kick.

Always a tale to tell,
MyLinda Butterworth
Quick reminder for all of us wanting to catch that StoryTimes summer journal ( ) . Please be sure to let us all know when it's available.
Looking forward to it.
Well my friends, technology has won and I have just finished putting the Summer Edition of StoryTimes to bed. Many of you were a great help in giving me ideas of how you use technology in your storytelling. It made it so much easier as an editor to gather up the information and create this issue. In fact I found several people here on professional storyteller who wrote articles for me Dianne de las Casas, Eric Wolfe and Tim Errenta just to mention a few. Thank you, Thank you!

In this edition you will be introduced to several different aspects of how types of techno storytellers. Funny thing is I just barely scratched the surface about what is available. I also can officially tell you the secret of who is coming to StoryCamp next year. Do you want to know? I could just make you read the article but I won't... we are having Donald Davis, Elizabeth Ellis, Dianne Ferlatte, David Novak and Heather Forest. All I can say is WOW and I hope you will all be able to come. More info later.

In the meantime please find the newsletter attached for all of you who wanted to learn more about technology and storytelling I think you will find this edition very interesting.

Thanks again,
MyLinda Butterworth (technologized for the moment)
Attachments:
MyLinda,
I'd like to send a member of our local storytelling group the article by Frank Sweet about virtual storytelling as I'm sure he'd be interested. Since it's a pdf I can't send just that article & don't see an email address for the author. Could you please help?
LoiS
Dear Lois:

Frank Sweet is on Professional Storyteller so you can even send a message directly to him.

I am actually telling online for for the first time on Second Life on Saturday, July 5th at 1:00pm Second Life Time (which is the same as Pacific Standard Time). I will be at the virtual Caledon Library. It will be audio streamed live and produced through Radio Riel. You can also see their blog.

In the 2008 August/September issue of the "Storytelling Magazine" under the "New Voices" column you will find a one-page article I wrote on "Living as a Virtual Storyteller". I interviewed Julie Barnson as well as Dale Gilbert Jarvis (aka Gilbert Sapwood in Second Life).

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Frank and Mary Lee Sweet are here on professional storyteller so you can drop him a line that way or you can email him at fwsweet@backintyme.com.

Hope this helps.

Always a tale to tell,
MyLinda Butterworth
This is a great subject and one we all need to pay attention to as we market our work. The different responses to your question point to the growing importance of knowing how and when to use technology. For my part - other than maintaining a website - I've tried CDs, DVDs and digital storytelling. There are so may options available, sometimes it's hard to decide what to do next. This year I plan to find out more about podcasts as a participant, and perhaps one day as a producer. We'll see.

The interesting thing is that whatever technology we use, our name gets out there. This can be good, and this can be bad. Since I prefer the impression I make to be good, I've decided not to rush into things until I have an idea about just what I am doing and what I intend to accomplish.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service