Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

I see that you are all professional storytellers.

Although I have been telling stories for a long time I don't do it professionally. But I have been having this question:
when do you become professional at this. As far as I know there is only one University program having a degree on storytelling in US.
As you see, I am out of touch and since attending workshops or classes is a bit complicated right now, I wonder if I can still tell stories even if I am not professionally qualified.
thanks in advance for your replies...

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think you need to take classes or go to a workshop to become a professional storyteller. They help, sure, but they aren't necessary. The best practice is in front of an audience.

My advice is do not worry about become "full time" immediately (or at all). Look up what the theme for next year's summer reading program will be (in 2010 it is water). Put together a series of stories that fit your personality and their need for water tales. Ask local librarians and local library systems for business. Ask for anywhere from $100 - $300 depending on where you live.

If you want to be full time, you have to be willing to travel and be willing to promote yourself endlessly. You spend much, much more time as a salesperson (selling yourself) than you ever will storytelling. You will spend most of your day contacting libraries, schools and events centers for programs. That's how a professional storyteller does it.

Personally, I do it part time. You don't have to do it full unless that is your heart's desire.
Michael thanks for your reply. I also do it part time. I started volunteering in my local temple and that is how I discovered that I like doing this. I want to learn more, but you are right, there is a lot of learning in the practice itself. I don't think I could do this full time if it involves traveling, however I still have a question, if I offer my stories at the library how do I go about "I am a story teller" since I can't say I am professional at this. What would they ask for?

I took my puppets the other day to the library with a theme of cultural experience. I don't like charging for I know I am learning in the process, is that a bad thing?

anyways, thanks again for your reply!
Anandamukhi
I would like to know where you live.
i was in Blore, now moved to Kanpur...
I am a storyteller...
Anandamukhi,

You may be interested in my book, The Story Biz Handbook: How to Manage Your Storytelling Career from the Desk to the Stage. It is published by Libraries Unlimited and can be ordered through any major online book retailer. It has been adopted by several universities as a college textbook.

The Story Biz Handbook is 30 chapters and nearly 400 pages of information, tips from experts, resources, and forms to help a new or veteran storyteller manage his/her business. You can read reviews on Amazon.com.

I hope this helps.

Warmly,
Dianne de Las Casas
Founder of Professional Storyteller
Author of The Story Biz Handbook
http://www.storyconnection.net
Hi Sawmya,
I am live in Texas, US.
How is your storytelling experience different in Kanpur than Bangalore?
thanks,
Anandamukhi
Dear Dianne,
Thank you for your reply. I was also thinking I should get this book.
I am very honored to be in this professional network of storytellers.
I am learning a lot,
thanks for facilitating this to us all,
Anandamukhi
Anandamukhi:

I am so glad! It's a great place to make connections.

Best wishes,
Dianne

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service