Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

I need some clarification. I have been invited to join many social networking groups. I'm now on 5. Facebook, Ning, linkdin, Twitter, Myspace. I'm also in a couple Yahoo and Google groups. I've been invited to a few more, but I feel like I'm not really using the groups I'm already in to their best use. How is each group best used. I think Linkdin has a more corporate feel, Ning focuses on a specific group interest and Facebook is fun and personal, invitation only but open to many different groups of people in my life.

Eric started a second ning from his podcast, what is the advantage to that over just having a group here? Is there an advantage to have facebook and myspace? And what does Twitter give me that the other groups don't?

Any insights would be appreciated. RW

Views: 56

Replies to This Discussion

Each group has different demographics. You need to judge which demographics connect best with your goals. If you don't want to have to post several times, you may want to look into Ping.fm so that when you post on Twitter it will also post on Facebook and other sites you are using.

As Eric has created a second Ning from his podcast, I will also have a separate one in connection with the project to have the Boy Scouts of America storytelling merit badge. I will probably have a group within Professional Storyteller on the project soon though have it direct to the larger social networking site.

Why do this? I need to know who my allies are plus some of these allies may not necessarily call themselves storytellers. I have not shared this site until now as there are things I want to tweak before a loud official announcement.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Thanks Rachel. So the reason to have multiple nings would be to attract unique groups. The Boy Scouts merit badge would pull from tellers and scout supporters.

I'm not really understanding twitter, I know it's the new kid on the block, but what can it do that facebook doesn't? RW
Twitter is good for one thing: keeping in constant contact with those who want to be in constant contact. Its brevity means that frequency is the key to making it work.
Twitter is for pushing your name/your thoughts/your presence to the front of your audience's mind.

This audience could be two sets of people:
1. family and friends. In this sense, it cuts through the clutter on facebook. I keep up with my mom, my brother, my sister-in-law, several colleagues.
2. your customers. If your customers don't use Twitter, there's no sense in adding it on. But, if your potential customers are the same plugged-in, connected people who have to know right away about the latest whatever, then Twitter will work for you.
I actually use it to follow NASA Mars missions, the USGS monitoring of earthquakes in my part of the country, and deals on Amazon.com... (as a customer/interested person, I want to know about this stuff right away... for example, with the NASA twitter feeds for the Mars Phoenix lander (R.I.P.), I was getting info one to two days BEFORE it hit the newspapers).
Tech writer/entrepreneur Guy Kawasaki writes about how to use Twitter to promote your business. His writing is mostly focused on the tech industry (and a lot of bloggers think his hype is just that), but food for thought: http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2008/12/how-to-use-twit.html

Twitter is designed for mobile phones. Facebook isn't. That's the main difference.
Looks like the answers you have been getting are right on - this little page is worth I would say at least five hundred dollars in biz advice – checks can be mailed too.... – just kidding -
let me through some more free meat in the pot.

FACEBOOK and MYSPACE - Gift of the Gods and Evil Nemesis of all hard working people everywhere.

I personally wouldn't touch Myspace with a ten foot pole - other people swear by it - I use Facebook very successfully to boost my listeners on my podcast. When I produce a show I link it on Facebook.

I have my personal account and a fan page for me and fan page for my show. The page for the show attracts mostly older adults and the fan page for me attracts teenagers who have seen my shows. I don't really advertise my fan page - so it's only few people - but still it's nice to have fan page when I have a bad day.

I have used Myspace and find it cumbersome and hard to work with. The key in both Myspace and Facebook use is understanding that you are using it for professional reasons. Well you could be.
If that is true then you need to block ALL applications - this will save you years of time and energy - and allow you to focus on building relationships. Just spend five minutes a day on the increasing who you know and suggesting friends to people they should know through Facebook and before you know it you will be completely connected – hopefully into your target clients community.

If I was a storyteller - and I am and I was interested in working in festivals and I am - hint - then I would become friends with all the festival organizers I could find on Facebook and Myspace. That might be a start. - or if your practice is in local schools why not friend up your client base - so that you can easily see what 's happening in there world.

Of course if your also gong to be friends with your uncle Charlie and he is going to write about your weekend retreat with boys. You probably don’t want your school clients to having access to that Personal Facebook account.

Friend me up my Facebook page is..
http://www.facebook.com/people/Eric-James-Wolf/1044406951

My Storytelling Fan Page is
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brother-Wolf-Storyteller/10656529609

My Podcast Fan Page is…
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Storytelling-with-Children...
I'd be wary of "befriending" any producer that I had not previously met in person.

I accept "friends" online on Facebook and Myspace that I have never met in real life, especially those who express an interest in my work, or who have a connection through a mutual colleague, but I don't count that as having a real relationship with them. And me-- I'm totally into the online social networking thing AND I'm a full generation younger than the majority of Festival producers. Will introducing yourself, virtually, out of the blue, to a festival producer, get you any closer to a spot on their stage?
Some of my friends on Facebook only accept my invite after/or because we met shook hands, had coffee, etc. Several "producers" will only accept an invite if they know you. Besides, I don't know if being on a list in facebook will make a lasting impression. RW
I'm still foggy about Linkdin. My more business oriented, less arts/school oriented friends are very active on Linkdin. Anybody have success there?

Also, I've noticed that facebook is looking a bit like twitter--many of my friends list what they are doing several times a day. The group invitations have been one of the best features for me in facebook. I've become involved and found out about events/groups I might not have with other methods.
Linked in is defintly the more "Professional" place to be -

Whatever that means.

I personally find it difficult to kep track of where these "friends" on facebook come from and I ma very careful to list everyone according to what group they belong too - just so I keep track of who they are and what my connection with them is based on.
LinkedIn was not designed to be a network where you "hang out" and "poke" your friends and list your favorite songs and movies and post cute photos. It was designed as a place to post your resume, your business contacts, and to find and locate business contacts.
Tim,
Are you on Linkedin and if so have you made connections helpful to your telling? RW
Yes, I'm on LinkedIn.
I have not made connections helpful to my telling-- however--
I have noticed that storytellers and performing artists who work with corporate clients use it.
I have been able to connect with friends from the past who have chosen not to use Myspace or Facebook.
I have written recommendations for colleagues on it.
I will continue to use it, as I have a 9 to 5 job that does not involve storytelling, and wish to emphasize my job skills in that arena on the site.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service