Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

Can you offer any suggestions for a new blogger?

What have you down to increase readership?

Tags: Blog, blogging, online, writing

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

You need to be consistent. It doesn't matter how often you choose to be consistent as long as you are consistent.

If your readers can expect you to post on certain days, then they will check your blog out. Of course, they could RSS your posts, but not everyone is familiar with this convenience.

I have chosen to post every 1st and 15th day of the month. This gives myself a deadline that is not too overwhelming. Some people actually post every day or once a week. Since I have turned my blog into a storytelling resource in the style of how-to articles, I could never see myself posting more than twice a month. If I had a more journal/personal reflection feel to the blog, then posting every day would be more doable.

I connect my blog postings to when I send the semi-monthly email list on Utah storytelling events open to the public to storytellers and story appreciators. These listings include my performances as well as performances of my storytelling friends. In the opening message, I give the title of the newest blog entry with a link. I also include my blog address (including the http:// so it looks like http://www.storytellingadventures.blogspot.com) on my email signature. If you forget to put the http://, then some people's email services will not highlight in blue as a clickable link.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Rachel, how did you get your blogspot to open to your group? I have a blogspot, but it does not open. I went through google.blog, then bought a website from them. http://bobbiestoryportfolio.com. They have a system called google.apps for businesses. My blogger site is for the art I send to children's publishers. It's not opening right now. WOW! I better read the find print. Did you use google apps for your monthly email list to your public? I'm trying to set this up. WHAT a job, you have done for yourself. I am inspired, good for you! GO! GIRL! GO!
I use the rule post once every seven days for my personal dyslexic storytelling blog.

http://dyslexicstoryteller.blogspot.com/

But as you say - I write shorter pieces that are more personal in nature - sometimes stories sometimes just personal reactions to being dyslexic.. My Target audience is dyslexic people and people who work with dyslexics. I personally find that I need the blog to be close to something I feel really passionate about or I am doomed. Especially somebody like me who as a dyslexic person can only write so many words a day before I burn out.

Though the regular production of written work has paid off for me and made me a faster writer.
I wrote this post when I started the blog laying out the rules back in November of 2007

-------------------------------------------- From the Blog SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2007

The Rules

I can't believe I am even considering this - kind of like a blind person painting or deaf person writing a sympathy - of course there was Beethoven. This project arises out of my desire to vent a little about the difficulty of blogging with out people judging you just because you can't spell and have no sense of grammar.
 My hope is that this blog will help make people more aware of how judgment is so damaging to dyslexic people and that so many potential authors live in shame of a simple typo.

Here are the rules

1) No outside help for me.

2) No spelling commentary accepted on the blog.

3) I will honestly describe moments in my life where my dyslexia or brain dysfunction what ever you want to call it gets in the way.

4) I am allowed - if I am in the mood to use Microsoft word spell check - and you I am sure will be highly amused.

5) I care not one wit for your amusement and will erase comments about spelling errors or omissions.

6) I will except commentary about thoughts or ideas on the blog.

Peace

Eric Wolf

http://www.dyslexicstoryteller.com
Eric:

That's funny that you posted those vids. I subscribe to Jason's blog and have watched all the Common Craft vids. They are brilliant in their simplicity.

Warmly,
Dianne
I agree with Rachel. Consistency is important. Readers will stop visiting a blog that has infrequent, sporadic posts.

Content has to be there. I've seen many 'all-about-me blogs" that are nothing but boring. Think mommy bloggers who tell every time Junior goes potty. Mommies are alone, either. For the reader it's all about "what's in it for me?" So there needs to be something of interest, something of value, something funny or thought-provoking to keep them coming back. I don't want to read all about how wonderful a storyteller is. I want to read about what they did, what they thought, what worked and what didn't and why, what books they're reading, what other things do they do in their life. A blog that reads like an ongoing promo is just another ad, not the web journal I'd want to read.

Why do we want people to come back? For the same reason we tell stories. We want to communicate. We want to create a web of understanding and shared experience with others, whether they be friend or stranger. So thinking about what we communicate on a blog, and why, is important to the development of the content.

Think about how your blog looks to others. Many bloggers use a black background--especially guys who want a tough look, people who want a cool or avant garde look, kids who want to be different. But I find a black background difficult for reading, and for this ol' granny, it feels unfriendly and cold. I might, of course, be the only person who doesn't like a black background, but it certainly makes me leave sites in a hurry.

Last thing: ads. I'm noticing a lot of ads on this site. Someone is making money from our memberships. I'm not against making money, but blogs and forums with many ads turn me off. I have decided, at least for now, to stay away from advertisements on my blog. Again, I may be the only one bothered by it, but I do get tired of being bombed by ads at every place I go to read, relax or be entertained.
Granny Sue:

First of all, I love your blog. I just plugged it in my latest (and last) Story Biz Express column in Storytelling Magazine. You have a great blog. I'm with you on great content. I write my blog for my clients and fans and have a lot of readers. It's time-consuming but fun.

Regarding ads on this site - are ads. That's the price we pay for a free platform to host our own social networking site just for storytellers.

Warmly,
Dianne
True, it's the old hippie in me that reacts to adverstising, I suppose. Nothing is really free, after all-someone is paying for it.

The site is growing by leaps and bounds, and that's an indication that it was a need our community had. So thank you for taking the initiative and getting it going.

The ol' granny
I do get it.....someone does have to pay for pages and space....so far, the benefits of having this space makes me just "fine" with the ads. And sometimes, I even click and go check 'em out, so I guess they are working.

In terms of blogging....the regular part of the biggest challenge. What I love is that you can change and upload immediately. No having to get to my webmaster and get on his schedule! Yah! What I like is quick and pithy with cool photos. When we are out in the world doing something cool, I often say "This is oging on the blog." Then the secret is, go do it right away!
Granny Sue -->I agree, the glowing black is a turn off and says to me, keep back this is private and dark. ICK! click, off I go. And the ads, BUMBLES! might as well go to the store in a big city or drive down the banner posted freeway. The computer page light from the background is hard on my eyes -- then all the flashing lights. EXIT! Off, I out to work in my garden, or write snail mail to my oldest friend, clean my house, sort papers, or draw or paint, the color here is relaxing, thanks Dianne.

If the ads apply to storytelling that's find, but white teeth; I guess storytellers need white teeth on stage or at the kitchen table. Fat, who care; and a child with a child, good learning experience. Why do we have these ads, because we are connected with MySpace, and the money finances all of this.

Nice to read the same feelings about blogs.
Regular posts are good. But the blogosphere is like an ecosystem. There are millions of individuals, but it is the relationships between them that sustain the web.
So post comments on other's blogs. List your favorite blogs on similar topics in your blogroll (so that your readers can easily see simliar blogs, and jump there). Believe me, the favor will be returned.

Furthermore, respond to other bloggers. If they raise a point that you agree with, go farther with it on your own blog. If you disagree, even better, you have a soapbox to explain why. Make sure you link to the blog posts you're responding to. Keep the relationships between blogs going.
Those are good points, Tim. I try, but don't always succeed in meeting your goals. I read as many storytelling blogs as I can regularly, but in addition I read and respond to blogs on other topics that interest me and that might be places to find new audiences for storytelling. As you've said before (I think it was you), we need to get out of our circled wagons and venture into places where storytelling is an unknown concept. So reading and responding to storytelling blogs is good, but taking storytelling concepts to new ears is also good.
Well said... responding to blogs outside of our own circles is good. And it's fairly easy, even if you don't read a lot of blogs. Go to a blog search engine like Blogpulse or Technorati or Google's Blog Search and search on "storytelling" or "storyteller" and 90% of what you find has nothing to do with oral storytelling. You'll find mostly posts on filmmakers, songwriters, video game designers, digital storytelling, and business consultants focused on presentation skills or organizational knowledge management. What they have to say might spark an idea, even if it's setting them straight on the difference between storytelling and crafting narrative.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service