Professional Storyteller

Share a Story - Change the World

Let me introduce my question with a little story, because that is where this adventure all began.

Last month I was invited to perform my kid’s show to an adult audience, no kids allowed. Well, why not, so I did. I expected my audience to be receptive and polite. I even hoped they would enjoy the evening. But what I got blew me away. The kids in their grown-up hearts jumped out and started to play, and giggle, and laugh. They pointed at their noses and played imaginary drums during one song. During one of my stories, they jumped startled when a werewolf pounced. “I knew it was coming, but he got me every time,” said one man after the show. Then, during the finale, they all blew raspberries (Bronx Cheers). I fed them with silliness. They fed me with laughter and applause. I got sillier, so did they, back and forth for 45 five minutes of stories, songs, and hilarity. The effect was hypnotic on all our parts.

Now, to my question: how do I market my kids show for adults? No dirty, racial, or sexist jokes, just down right silliness for the young at heart, it’s hypnotic. Do you have any ideas? Have you tried it yourself?

Views: 36

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds great - wonderful response you got! But . . . why exclude the kids? Why not a family show instead? Do you think having kids present would put a damper on the adults or something? We've done lots of family shows, and the adults get into those, because having the kids there sort of gives them "permission" to do things they wouldn't have otherwise done.

Cheers,
Kathy Lamb Worsfold

Bill & Kath - Kiwi Entertainers!
www.billkath.co.nz
Kathy,

Thank you very much for the response. I already do family shows, lots of them, and I always get the adults going as well. The attached video, Barnabus, shows me doing just that. No, what I'm thinking about is getting adults who don't have kids or whose kids have grown up to have fun with their own inner child as illustrated by my other attached file, Werewoman. The question is how to market such a product, without scaring adults away, "A Kid's show? Not for me." Any other thoughts?

max
...has happened to me. I found that I need to express to a librarian that my stories are definetely not kid friendly at the moment for what she wants. Adult, child or meld.....that has to be really established. I have walked into a room filled with preschool children when I was advertised telling stories of the very old tradition of Xmas.....stories of Befana and her cloak of rats, Wild Bertha and how she would take babies abandoned at crossroads and place them in the hood of her cloak as she thundered thru the winter skye on a black horse with fire in its eyes and iron for its hooves. well, believe me I turned my stories right aroiund in 2 seconds and did quaint cutsey ones for these precious preschoolers....but not what I rehearsed. it was disappointing to me...but audience enjoyed. Now, a wonderful woman who hired me as Mary Todd Lincoln did a bangup job of advertising it as adult women only.....and I had a wonderful group of women and some private schools for girls.
I find a full resume and a compleat understanding between who hires you, what they need and what you can give is so vvery important. I always tell them...I am ready to give 110 percent...of what you need. let's talk about this.
Oh ho ho - that was funny, Robert! I loved the way you tricked the audience in the Werewoman story - set them right up there with your question about "where do you think he went at the next full moon?". I loved it. But I wouldn't call that a kids show type of performance. To me it was a funny adult show. Very, very good - leaves me hanging out for the ending, which was your intention, of course.

Cheers,
Kathy Lamb Worsfold

Bill & Kath - Kiwi Entertainers!
www.billkath.co.nz
Kathy,

I do perform the Werewoman story for kids, basically the same storyline, without the stand-up comic stuff. Actually, I've never done a stand-up comic routine before. It just came out. The rest of my show is totally kids stuff. Even so, my adult audience ate it up. That's why I would like to find a way to market the show so that adults know that they are going to see, what on the surface is a kids show, but is geared for them. It's all in the pitch.
max
First off, what a great idea. This forum allows adults to be kids, free of whatever "kid judgement" they might fear. How about contacting various support groups, i.e. AA. These folks always need a laugh and opportunity to get intouch with their inner child. I'd suggest hitting all the support groups out there and let word of mouth work for you. Best of luck.
Den Gessing "The Ol' Storyteller."
Den,

Thank you for your response. The struggle just to get gigs that pay takes up so much of my time that there is little for anything else. I just returned from a three week tour of Brazil - all expenses paid, but little else. Had a wonderful time though. 4 shows per day for three weeks and had a chance to perform to high school students. Boy, that was great. You can view some video from my tour by going to http://maxtell.ca/content/node/62. Well, that's all for now. Nice to meet you. Max

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Don 'Buck P' Creacy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service