Some years ago, the same year that John Gray published "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus," I had several gigs in the weeks prior to Valentines Day with several "H" card shops giving workshops on "Romance". They were always full, couples, singles, male and female. But the next year I couldn't bring myself to pitch the workshop to any of the local card stops. The folks who attended ran the gambit, eager young couples wanting to get it right, brow beaten men accompanied by wives who… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on February 14, 2014 at 12:31am —
I've been working on my first book about storytelling; the working title is "Tricks of the Trade" with "tricks" meaning "acquired skills".
I've actually written lots of books for private industry. Training manuals, equipment documents and so forth; but I never "decided" to write a book about storytelling until recently. Like many, I've talked about it, daydreamed about it, and well, just never pulled the trigger. It might seem strange to say but I don't think writing a book about… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on February 12, 2014 at 7:38pm —
Oh I don't mean, get out of school days, no I mean Snow Days!
I mean tracking rabbits through the meadow, snow days. Watching geese feed near a spring, snow days. Ice encased branches glistening like diamonds and mountains of jewels in the sun, snow days. I mean, the crunch of snow beneath your feet across a field that no one but you has wandered though, except for a few deer and a fox and the crows who cleaned up after the fox's picnic. Bright sunshine on white snow,… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on February 7, 2014 at 4:30pm —
"The Recording Academy" gives
Voting Membership Status
Georgetown, KY - July 14, 2009 - This past week, a simple email arrived in my Inbox. It informed me that "after a thorough review of your work, market, and product," my little company, Aslan Productions, has been awarded "Voting Member Status" with The Recording Academy. That's right, the Grammy people.
I sat there staring at the screen. It… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on July 15, 2009 at 8:22pm —
I don't even know where to start. But I am dying to tell it and I am dying to read your reactions
Last Friday night, I had a storytelling concert at the Family Resource Center in Warsaw, KY. This is my first visit to Warsaw and though I have talked in the past with both the local Public Library and the Family Resouce Center and finally our calendars opened up and the stars aligned and it was going to work out.
We signed our Contracts and I was careful to get the phone number… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on September 15, 2008 at 6:48pm —
That's right it is time to turn my attention to 2009. I think you should too. I have already started looking at the holidays... where are they in relationship to the weekends? Thanks to our Congress almost every "one day" holiday is jammed into a Monday. I am compiling my festival list and deciding which ones I want to court and remind myself of which ones are courting me. Where do I want to go again, and which projects do I want to attempt this next year.
So what do I want for… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on September 10, 2008 at 5:10am —
Northern Kentucky Storytelling Festival
Lots of good fun tonight starting at 7:00 pm Octavia Sexton and Bill Harley
Saturday at 11:00 a.m. till about 4:00 pm Lots of great Kentucky tellers and they are even going to let me tell. Bill Watson, Octavia Sexton, & Cynthia Changaris. Come on out it will be lots of fun.
XM Satellite Radio Channel 171, 8:00 a.m. EST
I am hoping you will join me by radio or internet to listen to me tell stories to a lot of… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on April 18, 2008 at 9:13am —
I don't know how the other states in the Southeast selected their Showcase Tellers to represent them at the NSN Conference in Gatlinburg, TN. But this is how Kentucky did it. The following is a letter from our NSN State Liaison, Mary Hamilton. She also is our KY Storytelling Association (KSA) President for 2008. I am picking up her letter after the salutation and opening statement to all the Members of the KSA.
"Entries were received. Out-of-state panelists judged, and the following… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on April 9, 2008 at 10:30pm —
I woke up this morning, 8:30 a.m. and those of you who know me... know just how rare that really is. I slept late by about four hours. I fried a mixture of potatoes, peppers, onions, cooked some bacon & eggs, toasted oatmeal bread & a nice glass of orange juice, a huge cup of coffee. Two actually I drank one cup while fixing my meal and then I settled into to my seat to eat it while watching Book C-Span on my little tv. Macio Maku, noted Quantum Physicist was talking about his new book… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on April 5, 2008 at 10:30am —
You must rest... to do your best.
No one can run 20 hours a day and stay on top
Keep it up and you will stop.
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on April 1, 2008 at 7:16pm —
I hope you will join the others who are trying to improve their work. Five things a day.
Buck I will begin to use this blog for something else.
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 30, 2008 at 11:13pm —
1. I spent part of my lunch studying a chapter out of Robert McKee's book..."Story." There is a discussion about Unity & Variety, Pacing, Rhythm & Tempo, Social & Personal Progression, Symbolic & Ironic Ascension, and the Principles of Transitions. I have the feeling that I will be studying that book for years to come.
2. I mailed two CDs to a customer for CDs sold through storyteller.net. This site is starting to work better for me as a… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 24, 2008 at 5:31pm —
1. I filed my receipts and travel card and check stubs from this weekend's work for my taxes.
2. I made some further edits on my postcard and ordered 10,000 of them.
3. I bought a date stamper for my postcards to keep them current well after the IRA Conference in May
4. I slept a great good long sleep today. I needed it, i took it... I think it was just the thing for me to do. This entry will be brief but I have lots to add to the Marketing and the… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 23, 2008 at 9:30pm —
1. I had a good breakfast prior to traveling right at 5 hours to my storytelling gig at the Calhoun Health and Safety Fair. Checked my inventory of CDs and Booklets, filled out my travel card with the starting mileage and placed that card with the receipt from breakfast into my travel wallet. ( you can find these handy wallets at truck stops... oversized wallet with snaps and dividers for receipts and paperwork and my travel expense card (see the Fishbowl) fits in it… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 23, 2008 at 12:30am —
1. I sent the Postcard to the Fishbowl to show everyone what changes had been made and no sooner than I sent it there... than I realized there was some things that needed changing to match my vision... and then I noticed some more things
2. I wrote a standard introduction for emcees to use when they introduce me to the crowd. For years I have relied on the "15 minutes before I perform" interview method. The old method
goes like this... Hi I am… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 22, 2008 at 4:03am —
1. I printed off all the comments that everyone made about my finally revealed postcard.
2. I read it at least ten times. And demanded objective answers from myself about the questions everyone had asked of me. Why do I hang onto the moniker "Toolmaker?" What does that have to do with storytelling? What am I really trying to say about myself as a teller when I use the term "toolmaker?"
3. Sat very still, and listened to past conversations in my… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 21, 2008 at 7:00am —
3/20/08 My "In the Fishbowl" Group I have placed the %$##@$^%%#@%^%* postcard... Two versions... Please feel free to comment... I could use all the advice I can get... Thanks for your participation in the "public experiment." Let me know what you think of the struggle to get a clean effective card out there.
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 20, 2008 at 5:00am —
1. Refined my business card, less clutter.. 33% white space... got some help from a friend who can see better than me and knows what she is looking at... the card now looks good.... no... kidding.. Ordered a bunch.
2. Made a first and second semi-final running pass at the postcard. I will post it in the fishbowl... so you can see it. Someone PLEASE
critique it... before I spend my money to have a million of them printed.
3. Talked to two… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 19, 2008 at 9:30pm —
1. Mailed CDs to those who bought them from Sean's site Storyteller.net and the NSN site Storynet.org.
2. Mailed my taxes in today... drum roll please, cymbals... and that is one less thing I have to distract me while I am trying to think about stories. My Uncle used to say... "If you have to swallow a frog... don't look at it very long. And, if you have to swallow a lot of frogs.... swallow the biggest one first. Then it's all downhill from there." I think… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 18, 2008 at 11:00pm —
1. Mailed a "courting" package to a festival where I want to tell.
2. Tried to make my business cards on Vistaprint... I must have missed something... not successful
3. Went to sit with a sick friend. Not really storytelling, but I did tell a story.
4. Posted my calendar on the KSA Storytelling website calendar... so people could know where I am going to be telling.
5. Bought two new bookcases to put my books on a shelf and… Continue
Added by Don 'Buck P' Creacy on March 17, 2008 at 10:07pm —