WHAT IS STORYTELLING HEROES?
Heroes is a campaign to both raise awareness OF storytelling and raise money FOR storytelling. Our goal is to sponsor 100 regional storytelling events which will each raise $250 from September 2008 to December 2009.
IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM THE HEROES CAMPAIGN?
No. The HEROES campaign is the same as Storytelling HEROES.
WHO ARE THE HEROES?
The Advancement Team is made up of seven NSN members from across the country who will each coordinate Heroes events in several states. Each advancement team member is handling seven states, working with the movers and shakers in those places to organize Heroes events. Everyone who organizes an event is a HERO! The A-Team members are listed at the end of these questions.
WHAT KINDS OF EVENTS ARE THESE?
Anything! Do you currently present a storytelling event in your area, or have an idea for one, that could generate $250? Some of our favorite suggestions have been a spa day of storytelling for 10 women in which each participant pays $25 for pampering and working on stories; a storytelling whodunit dinner; an unusual excursion—horseback ride, balloon ride, etc.—with storytelling narration. And ideas keep coming in:
In Arizona, Dustin Loehr and Kim Sheppard of Rhythm Soled organized a storytelling potluck with local sponsors.
In Maine, Jo Radner is hosting workshops on storytelling techniques.
Bill Harley, Eth-No-Tec and Heather Forest are participating in to-be-determined events.
If you have a great idea for a HEROES event, please send them to our coordinator, Marcia Donovan, at email@example.com.
WHAT DO THE HEROES GET OUT OF IT?
Among other things, the benefits of running a HEROES event are:
• The satisfaction of helping NSN
• Being spotlighted on our new Heroes Campaign website, other NSN Internet spaces, and Storytelling Magazine
• Good public relations for you as an individual and/or for groups putting on the event (helps attracts media to focus on you)
• Becoming an advocate and educator to your community of what storytelling means to you - $250 is great, but 25 people at your event who get turned on to the power of storytelling is PRICELESS!
• The tax-deductible satisfaction of knowing you are a hero for storytelling
• Provision of brochures about NSN and logos for your flyers, plus any help we can give you about marketing tips, planning ideas, etc. through your Advancement Team member and your state liaison
I WANT TO SUPPORT NSN BUT I HAVEN’T GOT TIME TO RUN AN EVENT. . .
You can donate (tax-deductible) directly to Heroes Campaign, especially if you lack time now to put on an event. Write a check to NSN at 132 Boone St., Suite #8, Jonesborough, TN 37659 labeled for Heroes Campaign and say, “My donation is in honor of ___________________, my hero in storytelling.” Heroes honor donations will be listed in future issues of the NSN magazine (unless requested not to be).
You can also tell friends, neighbors and relations about our activities. Perhaps someone you know would be interested in running or attending an event in your area. We’re relying heavily on word of mouth to let people know about what NSN is and does. Advocacy for storytelling and storytellers is a big job, and requires all the help each member can bring. Thank you for thinking about what you can do to help out HEROES!
I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!!!!
If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Marcia Donovan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Marcia is heading up HEROES coordination efforts.
Advancement Team members
Onawumi Jean Moss
Wendy Welch, NSN Board Member